Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thoughts and Reflections on Parenthood

I wonder sometimes how much is too much? Are we too involved in our kid's lives, or is it our duty to help out when we can? There are times when I think the philosophy of not being too involved and letting kids alone is just an excuse for parents to be more self-absorbed and pursue their own interests, justifying it by making it seem as if you're only doing what's best for the kids. So, rather than be involved and stand behind them, let them figure things out while mom and dad have time to do their own things, assuaging the guilt by kidding themselves that it's for the best.

The only reason I think this is because the logic conveniently fits into their lifestyles.

The reason, of course, that this comes up is because of you know who, and the void that currently exists in our daughter's life as a result. Should we be involved? Should we have any role, whatsoever? I don't know, and we could regret this one day soon, but I can't help it. Besides, whether or not I'm involved is not the point, the damage is done with or without me. Rejection has occurred, no question, and I could turn my head and let things happen as they will, but the learning process is in motion. Besides, our involvement is not blatant, at least from her perspective.

Who can say? We'll see where this all leads, but in the meantime, we'll try to keep our kids busy and active and hopefully fulfilled. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: