Tuesday, February 12, 2013

This is the End

This is the end, my only friend, the end... Can you name the song?

The hockey regular season ended last week, and I have to say, I’m not completely heartbroken. This time last year I was so bummed, but I’m pretty hockey-ed out over here. Coupled with all that’s being asked of us is the fact that I feel abandoned by all my so-called comrades in the youth hockey organization, who in the best interest of their children, are abandoning the team in droves. You can’t blame them, but the current system that is in place really hurts the program. In all fairness, I probably wouldn’t be so whiny if I was in their shoes, but I’m not, so I am.

The thing that bums me out is that all of N’s friends are moving up, and the few that might stay back are talking of moving up, as well. The program allows for this in certain situations, and the reality is, in a majority of cases, it doesn’t serve the team well. It’s really about promoting the child and making statement about their abilities at the expense of the greater good. No question about it.

A big problem stems from the fact that the people in charge and the heavy hitters in the program are the ones doing all the maneuvering, so how do you argue with that? Plus, one of the biggest detractors of the situation is guilty of the same offense.

It’s all a big mess, and personally I feel done with it all. I don’t even want to discuss it with the people around me, it’s all talk in the end. They’ll do what they’ll have to do, like all of us.

We’ll see where this whole fiasco leads us. BTW, the song is by the Doors. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to the_mel
for the pic.

No comments: