Monday, January 6, 2014

Getting it Done

I really wavered on this one, but in the end, I buckled down and just did it. Like everything in life, I sure am glad I did, because it’s better to get it done rather than ruminate and torture yourself over something. I should know, I spent my whole life doing it (or rather, not doing it).

We took a big trip last week up to Quebec, and we drove the blue Fit. It was due for an oil change and there were three options. I could change the oil beforehand, but this meant dealing with it. I could change the oil afterward, which meant putting it off and dealing with it later (my favorite option), or I could have waited until we returned and taken it to our mechanic, which is the easiest but most expensive option.

We left for Canada on a Sunday, and on Thu the weather was cold and there was snow all over, but it was at least sunny. I figured it was now or never, and changing oil isn’t that hard and takes about 40 minutes. It’s just hard to motivate, especially when the ground is covered in snow.

I had the oil and the filter, and changing it myself saves me about $30, which when you’re broke is a fortune. Plus, the manufacturer recommends changing the oil every 7000 miles, and I tend to do it every 3500. I’m just hung up on the 3000 mile thing that we all grew up with.

Now I’d been told by the Amazing PR Man that you don’t want to change your oil right before a big trip because if something goes wrong, it’s tough when you’re far from home. I figured if I changed it on Thu, I had all day Friday and Saturday to make sure things were okay. We headed up to Canada on Sunday.

So I went for it. I warmed up the car, jacked it up, drained the old and added the new, and changed the filter. As much as it’s a pain, I find it satisfying doing it myself. It makes me feel like a real man... in training. Plus our trip went fine with no problems, and since we’ve been back, it’s been either snowing, dangerously frigid, or raining, which makes changing the oil a challenge.


As usual, I sure am glad I just did it and got it done. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Susanne Manley for the pic.

No comments: