Friday, April 24, 2015

Cleaning Continues

In the continual effort to make mom happy, I am tackling the big potato and trying to clean up the basement. It's a bit of a mess, and will involve a fair number of man hours (real-man hours?) not to mention discarding a fair amount of detritus. In all fairness to myself, it's not that messy, there is just a lot of stuff, and it simply doesn't meet mom's extremely high standards of cleanliness. Actually, very few things in life meet that criteria.

Whatever be the case, a lot of the problem stems from several years and countless real-man projects that lead to tons of scraps, junk, and half-empty paint cans. It's really just a question of clearing the stuff out and then organizing the remaining stuff in an orderly manner. Easy enough, right? It helps if you have cleaning OCD, which I do not, but I can't let that stop me.

My original plan was to clean up the main area first, the one that you see when you enter the basement, and then build a shelf and store all the essential items that we keep down there, including olive oil, dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, canned goods, etc. I had this fantasy of getting it done before mom returned from her trip, but like all fantasies, that one was better left off in la-la land. I did manage to get a lot of the ugly junk cleaned up, and I'll have to make a trip to the spring hazardous waste pick-up to finalize that, but I did not manage to get the shelf done. I am currently working on that, and like all projects, it's proving to be more work than I anticipated.

After that's done, I'll turn my attention to the work bench down there, which is a disaster, but at least limited to a defined space. Once that's done, I can return my focus to the important things in life, like taking a phat nap.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ron and Sandra Lightburn for the pic.

No comments: