Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Visiting Our Old Digs

In the service of My Mentor, I paid a visit to our old digs over the hill and it was interesting to go back there and see the current residents. Some I knew, some recognized me, but on the whole there's a new crew and I got to sit in on a board meeting. The whole situation arose because My Mentor lives up near Canada most of the year and comes down for balloon season in the summer and fall, whereby he lives in his condo out here. It being a condo, he has to answer to the condo association, or rather, it has to answer to him. That would entail a 4 hour drive both ways to get here, so he asked me if I could help him Skype his presence. We lived for two years in one of the condos before moving to our current home, so it was a bit of a homecoming.

That was easy enough, except that it required me to be there since I had to use my computer. It would have been better if one of the board members could have used their own computer but they couldn't seem to set up Skype, and I didn't have the time or patience to teach them how. Since My Mentor included her on our exchange, the sensible thing would have been for her to contact me and set up a time before the meeting to get this done, but I never heard from her, and in the end, she showed up right at the beginning of the meeting. I thought that she had Skype but was running into some problems and I could try to troubleshoot them, but in reality she hadn't even set up a Skype account, which would have taken a bit of time.

We took the easiest and most convenient route, which as I mentioned, meant using my laptop and thus requiring me to wait for them to be done. This is not an unusual when I try to help out, it always takes longer than I thought it would. Oh well, what are you going to do? We got the connection going, My Mentor held court over his dominion, and I sat and listened. The other board members were quite accommodating, and I got a sense that they felt I actually wanted to be there.

After about an hour they resolved whatever issues they could resolve at the time, and they adjourned, thereby freeing me to go home. It was interesting to see the old crew. Still the same issues that we dealt with way back when, though they are making sound improvements to the place. I can see where making decisions by committee would get old, but I think they have the right man in charge. Plus, when you have all these people living under one roof, you just can't beat all the drama. It's like watching reality TV, except that you're living it.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to mdrn mrvls for the pic.

No comments: