Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Real Man's Work

With all that's going on with hockey and transitioning into spring, I'd forgotten that I'm still training to be a real man and there is always work to be done. While I'm waiting for the snow to melt so I can start splitting wood (though I guess a real man would just split it in the snow), we had a situation come up inside the house, involving our toilet, no less. When we first moved into our house one of the first things we did was install a new toilet upstairs because the one that was there was black. Who installs a black toilet?

Either way, it wasn't easy buying a toilet because for whatever reason there are a ridiculous number of choices, all with creative names, no less. We ended up getting a higher end brand, Toto, and I'm not even sure why. Every now and then little things seem to malfunction, and this time around it was the flushing mechanism. The handle actually broke so the flushing arm wasn't working properly, i.e., we couldn't flush the toilet. This can make life a bummer. 

I went over to F.W. Webb in Lebanon, one of the few places that sells Toto toilets, and got the part. I was hoping just to replace the handle, but ended up having to get the entire unit, which actually made replacing it a piece of cake, though like all things in life, it was more expensive than I had anticipated. Also, the customer service was terrible. The guy helping must have been on medication because he was moving so slowly at one point I thought he'd forgotten I was even there, and I was standing right next to him. He had no clue where to find my part so he asked the guy who seemed to be in charge, and this guy couldn't cram corn chips fast enough into his mouth. I was staring at him thinking, "Maybe you should just take a break and eat those things somewhere else." Talk about unprofessional.

I guess in the end I shouldn't complain because I got the part, and best of all, it gave me a chance to break out my tools and do real man's work. It didn't involve anything with a combustion engine or sharp blades of steel, but that will come in due time.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Eugene Huo for the pic.

No comments: