Friday, June 9, 2017

Change in Plans

I am not in any position to complain about this, but my wood source has fallen through. It's not a desperate situation because this is for year 2 wood, but seeing that we always dip into it, it's something I need to attend to. As I mentioned, however, I can't complain because the logger who can no longer provide is not only a friend but is having health issues. That's why he can't get the wood.

This all came about because I deviated from the regular protocol, for reasons that seemed reasonable at the time but in retrospect clearly stemmed from my neurotic predisposition and firewood OCD. I usually get my wood from one guy, TB, and he has always come through for me, so why fret over it? Simple, because fret is my middle name... and almost my first name.

The problem is that he never returns my calls and never lets me know if he can get the wood. If he simply called and left a message saying one word, “yes,”, then I'd rest easy. My dilemma is that if he can't the wood and tells me some time in October, it's too late, but I'm guessing you've heard this sob story again and again. Whatever be the case, it's not a good scene for a neurotic mess like myself.

Anyway, last year (I think) after a particularly long time with no contact, I figured he wasn't going to get me wood and contacted another logger, DS. I actually know him reasonably well, and he lives in our town so he's a neighbor. He said no problem, he could get me the wood, so I felt like I could rest easy. Then my old source literally showed up at our doorstep with a truckload of wood, after I'd arranged to get some through DS. I felt bad but told DS I didn't need the wood until the fall. If figured I could cut and split what TB gave me over the summer and then take delivery of DS's wood. I'd have a butt-load of wood, but when has that ever been a problem?

Well, fall came and I still had plenty of logs, so I asked DS if I could just get the wood in spring, and again, he said no problem. I didn't call TB because I had wood coming, figuring I'd call him in the fall and ask for wood in spring of 2018. I emailed DS and said I could take delivery at any time, and then his wife contacted me and said DS is having some health issues and wood wasn't going to happen.

Wow, talk about a bummer. As I mentioned I can in no way complain because my friend has bigger issues to deal with than my woodpile. However, that doesn't change the fact that I need wood for next year. I had to scramble and contact TB but he wasn't all warm and fuzzy (he usually isn't) about me calling so late to get wood this year. It's practically summer.

He said it was a little late but he should be able to pull something together over the summer. He said he would (gulp) call me to let me know, and as standard MO, he never called me. I have to take what I can get, even if it's small crumbs and morsels. He said it should (might?) be possible, right? He didn't say “no way,” which is about as good as it's going to get at this point. I just have to be ready with the wad of cash in case he shows up at my doorstep. I have all summer to sit and sweat over whether he'll pull through, but as he's mentioned in the past, he's always come through. While a quick phone call would be appreciated, I'm in no position to be picky, am I?

I guess I could search for another source, but we know where that will get me.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Helen Habgood for the pic.

No comments: