Monday, June 26, 2017

Rock and Roll Weekend

I wish I did cool things like this when I was her age, but A attended a bit rock and roll festival this past weekend down south, and she had an amazing time. I mean, who wouldn't? They have a big music festival call the Solid Sound Festival down in Massachusetts that spotlights the band Wilco. It's held in conjunction with Mass MOCA so there is a big art scene included in the mix. Now being old and boring I'd never heard of the festival, and didn't know much about the band Wilco, who have been around a long time. Oddly enough I actually have one of their CDs and didn't really put two and two together, though I think this makes me unconsciously and retroactively cool. My kids might disagree with this assessment.

Either way, a bunch of her friends were going, including bandmates and fellow musicians, and one set of parents was going to be on hand, as well. This made it more plausible because I don't know if I'm comfortable without some adult supervision. The concert is a big deal, spanning Fri, Sat, and Sun, and the entire area rallies around it. Hotels in the area were booked solid a good 6 months in advance. We couldn't find a room, so we ended up camping about 45 minutes away. A got to camp with her friends at the venue, which is a must in these situations. You don't want to be near your parents, and you want to be with your young and cool friends. It was a camping situation so she had to have all her gear packed, and they even brought guitars and had on-site jam sessions.

Mom, N, and myself camped a little farther away and left A to her own devices, just like she wanted. She had an amazing time, and I'm so glad she had fun. We also had a blast despite the fact that I had reservations going into it. I mean really, who wants to go away for a weekend just so your kid can go to a concert? I guess we do.

More on this later but suffice it to say it was an amazing weekend enjoyed by all, even though we got slammed by a massive thunderstorm and we lost the keys to our car. All happy endings... in the end.

Here's an cool link about the festival, which is pretty cool.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to WFUV for the pic.

No comments: