Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Meet the Parents

It's interesting for both N and I (and eventually mom, I'm sure) playing in a new organization. Our old place was chock full of people we knew very well. In a way we were one of the older established families because we had been there so long. Now we're over in the big city and it's a whole new set of parents to mingle with. The difference is that since we're in the big city, it's a lot more hip and happening parents who are basically doctors, lawyers, and Dartmouth professors. We're talking a whole new set of interests, and for that matter, values. I'm finding that I have to re-learn the art of conversation.

I think N is fine because he really just wants to play hockey, and while these are more of the guys he'll probably see if he takes classes at the school, I'm not sure how many long term friendships will come of it. I can say that after 5 years over at our old program, not too many connections have been maintained, at least not for him.

Boy, life sure is complicated. In the beginning I was pretty anti-social, just hanging out in the corner and watching practice, but I'm opening up a little more to the big city parents, trying to get to know them, and they've been very nice. Their kids are all high hockey performers so that's a big topic of discussion, but slowly I'm getting to know more about them.

This should be interesting. Yet another topic to fuel my neurosis as the season progresses. I will say this - joining the big city program has definitely taken me out of my comfort zone and forced me to confront new and sometimes terrifying situations, like meeting highly successful parents who are hip and attractive. Not too many SAHDs in this group.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to osstat for the pic.

No comments: