Monday, October 23, 2017

Resourceful Kids

Okay, not to be the shameless and obnoxious (well, maybe a little) parent who spouts on about their kids, but I have to relay a small moment that made me very proud of them. To be clear, I think A&N do things on a continual basis that make mom and dad incredibly proud, we just choose not to parade them on social media to everyone on the planet. I still find this sort of boasting a bit distasteful, but clearly I'm in the minority on this one.

This past weekend was crazy and since I was working and mom had to take N to his game over an hour south of here and A to her evening activities. For the record, I originally asked for that night off, but they asked me to come in because the schedule was crazy. I was well within my rights to say I needed it off, but I decided to help them out. Because of this, I missed my son's first game and put mom through the ringer, so it's a bummer on a lot of levels. I felt guilty and in certain ways regretted it, but such is life.

Either way, good things can come out of bad, or should I say “less than ideal” circumstances, right? Mom and the kids were scrambling out the door and, for reasons that are a mystery to me, her car battery was dead. Mom was a little rushed because they had time constraints (1.5 hours to the ice rink with a stop in the big city), but A&N knew just what to do.

Now the simplest thing would have been to call AAA, but who's got time for that, especially when you have two resourceful kids that watched a lot of MacGyver growing up? They were calm, cool and collected and told mom that they could just bump start the car, and all three of them proceeded to do just that. Sure enough, they got the car started within a few minutes and were on their way. When mom relayed this story I thought, “Wow, what cool kids.” How many people their age, much less a majority of adults out there, know how to bump start a car with a dead battery? As for kids, I would say zero.

Okay, that's enough of my carrying on. I thought it was a cool story, and it highlights one of the life skills that is going the way of the dinosaurs.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Omer Zeki Sadullah for the pic.

No comments: