Friday, October 20, 2017

Seduced by Tech

I used to pride myself in using old fashioned tech, especially when it came to phones. It's sort of silly in retrospect, but at the time I didn't think it was necessary. I mean really, who needs a smartphone? 

I do, that's who.

This became apparent to me only after I went out and upgraded my flip phone to a smartphone. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not about to spend a load of money on a phone ($1000 on an iPhone, get real), but I did upgrade and my smartphone has been incredibly handy. I text frequently, and Google maps has saved my butt more than a few times. Plus, when I'm at work at the Inn, I can check my emails on the phone. I have to admit, an upgrade in this department really has paid off. Best of all, it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, and I can keep my Tracfone account, so no locking into long term contracts with steep penalties for just breathing.

Well, if you can believe this, I'm toying with the idea of upgrading once again. Nothing extravagant, just something with a little more storage. The big reason for this is that I have to constantly offload apps because the phone tells me I need to open up storage, and what kills me about this is that I don't download a lot of apps. Sure, I've downloaded a few, but not enough to warrant these alerts. I installed a 32 gig SD card but through some completely lame and ridiculous twist of fate, I can't put apps on the card, mainly just photos. If I could put more apps on the card I'd be golden, but since I can't, I'm looking into more space.

Not a lot, just a little more. To give you some perspective, my phone is an archaic model that only has about 2 gigs of storage. In the phone world this is basically what the cavemen used to use, and I know most of you are laughing at me right now. To help clarify this point, A's phone has 128 gigs of storage. The difference is staggering. All I really need is a few more gigs, which an upgrade to an 8 gig phone would accomplish, or even a 4 gig. Now 8 gigs is still tiny by today's standards, but light years better than what I have. Best of all, I can probably upgrade to an 8 gig phone for about $35-40, and still keep my Tracfone plan.

I'm not a big fan of constantly upgrading my tech, but since everyone else is, new technology that is more than adequate for my needs can be obtained for an incredibly low price. It's a shame in a way that we're so wasteful, but it does open the door to some good bargains.

-->
We'll see where this one goes. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Hamza Butt for the pic.

No comments: