Thursday, January 25, 2018

Big City Concert

Last weekend while N and I were hanging out near the capital, mom and A were heading in the opposite direction, hanging out in Burlington to catch a concert. A and her buddies are interested in a band called Tennis, and they were playing at what I consider to be a great venue to see a show - Higher Ground. The only problem was that A is the only one of them who drives, and we weren't about to let her drive up alone and then drive back late at night. The only solution was for one of us (i.e., mom) to go up there with them, and then spend the night. This required getting a hotel in addition to the concert tickets, and probably a meal or two in-between.

Luckily we were able to get a deal on a room through my work, and the three of them set out on their big musical journey of discovery. N and I were out all day, so we didn't get to see the girls for what seemed like days, but they had a nice time. They headed up on the late side because one of them had to work until early evening. This meant getting off work, heading up to Burlington, and then going straight to the show. A little crazy, but that's what you gotta do to get to the show. I think mom just hung out and relaxed, read a book or two and maybe watched a movie. A and her friends had a blast. I think the show was very cool, but they also got to meet the band (who were very cool) and take some all-important selfies. Definitely a cool experience, though a bit of a logistical challenge. For the record, my parents would never, and I stress the word, “never,” have sprung for a hotel for me or my brother just to see a concert, partly because they considered music a waste of time and money, and also because they considered pretty much everything in life a waste of money.

A couple of the girls had places to be on Sunday, so they woke up, had a quick breakfast, and then headed back down. A little crazy, and in retrospect, maybe not the best planned excursion, but what are you going to do? Live and learn, I think next time we may have to re-think things.

-->
Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to CJ Foeckler for the pic.

No comments: