Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Cold Start

How's this for starting off the new year? I was asked by a friend to walk her dog and feed her cats on new year's day (NYD), and the morning was so cold that I couldn't start my car. I had some indication that his might happen over the past several days, because my car really struggled to start, though start it did. As the temperature dropped to -20+, I started to wonder if it might be too cold to turn over. When said friend called with the request, of course I said yes, but I almost added that I might not be able to, and sure enough, that morning the car just wouldn't cross over that hump. I tried to wait until later that morning when things warm up to a balmy -15, but even then, the car wouldn't budge.

I texted her and said I might not be able to make it, but would keep trying, and then called AAA around 9:00AM. They said someone would be there hopefully within 90 minutes. In the meantime, I sat and waited, but by 10:30, I decided to call our neighbor and good friend, JH, who I should have called in the first place. Not only is he amazingly capable, en par with the Amazing PR Man, but he would never hesitate to help us. The feeling is reciprocal, even if the abilities are not. I just didn't want to bother him on NYD, but he was more than happy to help out. He came over, gave me jump, and we chatted for a bit. He said he has a battery charger and it got me to thinking that maybe I should get one. I also thought it would be good to have a jump box, because dead batteries occur in this household a few times a year.

I was, as always, very appreciative to JH for being such a good friend and neighbor. Then again, that's how it is up here, people just want to help one another out. I rather like that fact.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to ecalley for the pic.

No comments: