Thursday, January 25, 2018

Rainy Days

So more crazy weather on this end. We had moderately cold temps much in line with normal weather up here, i.e., around 30 degrees, teens at night, and now we're getting this warm weather front coming through that is unloading tons of rain, of all things. A similar thing happened to us about a week and a half ago, and the flooding was significant. In fact, we almost got stuck in it, which would have been a big time bummer. Our car is small, and it doesn't take much standing water to ruin your day. After we'd passed through the flooded section the Mighty Fit had some problems shifting gears, as if the transmission was slipping because it got wet. It was a total bummer, and I was worried the car would fizzle out, but it was only the initial moment of gear engagement, and then the problem went away. I was later told that the water was freezing and causing either the gears or the transmission to slip. Yikes, not the sort of thing I like to hear, but my mechanic said I didn't need to worry. As if that's going to comfort my OCD.

Now it's been raining cats and dogs, and I'm sure flooding will be an issue, once again. This is crazy. When I went outside this morning to take out the compost, I nearly lost it on the steps, it was that icy. I put out some sand, which helped, but my understanding is that when this rain ends, which may be never, another cold front is moving in and it will all freeze. We just can't seem to catch a break out here.

We were at hockey practice at Cardigan when this storm moved in. It was fine at first heading over there, but gradually you could sense that what started out as rain was beginning to freeze. It was especially apparent on our windshield. By the time we came out of practice, the car was coated in ice, and the roads were precarious, making driving really slow. What's crazy is that one of the “elite” teams practiced on the same sheet of ice, and since they're “elite,” they draw players from all over. I was told some of them travel as much as an hour and half to practice, which would be a total bummer under last night's conditions. Since these guys are hardcore, they don't miss practice, either. The things you do for hockey.

-->
I'm curious to see what the weather will be like tomorrow, since we're supposed to go skiing. 

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Eric Backman for the pic.

No comments: