Friday, December 13, 2013

Circus Show

I took the kids to a show at the Hop the other day, and it was quite the show. We arranged with other families and friends to meet beforehand, and the kids went along with their buddy NP and I followed alone because afterward the group had planned on getting lunch but we had to be elsewhere, probably hockey.

It was a Cirque du Soleil influenced program, and I’m not sure if they are affiliated with said program, but you could see the resemblance. The performers were all French Canadian and were from Montreal, so there is a good possibility that this was the case.

The show was called Timber, and it celebrated the logging history of Canada. It had all the humor and acrobatics of a circus show, as well as the music and dance of the region. It was a lot of fun, everyone loved it, and being the real-man in training that I am, could relate to the whole logging theme.

Afterward they had a question and answer session and we learned that the performers are either related or good friends since childhood. I thought it was interesting when they answered the question of why they got into performing with, “Because it is the greatest life anyone could live.” I’ve heard that circus performers are generational, and the work is hard and the pay isn’t that great, but they love it and do it for life. I would imagine it would be a tough life but that it would be interesting, really interesting, but I tend to romanticize things.

I wanted to ask them if they heated their homes with wood, but didn’t get the chance because the kids had too many questions, but I’m guessing the answer to that question would be, “Yes!”

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to jmsbyntn for the pic.

No comments: