Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Solstice Party

The solstice came this past weekend, and not a moment too soon, because now the days are getting longer, and at this point, I need all the positive energy I can find. Long periods of darkness don’t do much for one’s psyche, do they?

We had a nice day of hockey and then the annual solstice party at our neighbors, which is always a great soiree with incredible food. I had decided to eat a snack at lunch so I’d be primed and ready to feast at the party, but things don’t always work out the way you plan them, do they?

That day the kids both had hockey games at home, so I helped first with N’s game, then with A’s. N wanted to hang out and watch because his buddies are usually around, so it was fun for him. Afterward, one of A’s teammates was having a birthday at Ramunto’s, which meant I’d tag along as transportation. I wasn’t sure if N wanted to hang with the ladies, but the lure of free pizza was too strong, so he went, too. A got a ride with her buddies and N and I rode together. It was fun, the girls had a blast, N sat with me and we watched football on the big screen. How often do I get to do that?

They had cupcakes and they played games, and even N jumped in with the girls. As I mentioned, I had planned on eating a light lunch in anticipation of the solstice party, but I, too, succumbed to all that free pizza and ate my fair share. I couldn’t resist.

Of course, that evening at the solstice party, I wasn’t that hungry, and as usual, the food was incredible. I tried to force myself to eat but between being sated and having to be social, I didn’t eat much. Oh well, you can’t win them all. The party was nice, we got to see old friends and meet some new ones. Later that evening they had a big bonfire and the kids had fun building snow forts and getting into snowball fights. Even some of the adults (ahem) got into the act.

The evening didn’t go to late so we got home at a reasonable time, even though the kids could have stayed all night. It was a nice way to celebrate the solstice, something you just don’t do growing up on LA.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ricky Trickartt for the pic.

No comments: