Wednesday, November 5, 2014

First Day of Hockey

The season kicked off a week or two back, and the first day on the ice is always a little crazy, but even more so when you're me. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. The first games of the season opened on our home ice, and both of the kids' teams played, but A was sick so she stayed home and rested. I was slated to help work the bench for both A and N's teams, but I was notified the night before that I had to complete a child safety module online before I was even allowed to be on the ice or behind the bench. What?

I woke up the next morning and started working on it, but it takes about 1.5 hours to complete, and I ran out of time. I had to take N to his game, and I figured I could use the arena internet and complete it. By the time we left, I was about 75% done. The arena was packed with people and the excitement was palpable. N went to his locker and I saw the JG the registrar and the first thing she said was, "Did you complete the module?" Geez, talk about nowhere to hide. I said I was almost done, then explained to his coaches that I couldn't help. I then went to the lobby thinking I could watch some of the game while I did my work, but I couldn't get internet. I needed to work the bench after N's game because that was when A's team was playing, but by law I couldn't until I got this thing done.

A lot of the hockey parents are techies, so I inquired if they could help, but they all hinted that the internet wasn't so great there. I finally saw one of the coaches who lives nearby and asked if he had WiFi, and he did. We drove to his house and he let me work in his kitchen, which was very cool. I finished the module and headed back, just in time to help out with A's team. I just squeaked in.

I'll tell you one thing - despite the shortage of coaches and the difficulty in getting them to help out, they sure make it difficult to be involved. I understand the need protect the kid's safety, but all the work involved in just helping out I'm sure discourages a lot of people from doing it.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to martins_kyle for the pic.

No comments: