Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Turn of Events

When you were in school, did you ever have a situation where you studied for a test and arrived at school prepared and ready (or not), only to have the teacher cancel it at the last minute? There is that mixture of emotion: happiness for having not had to take the test, but disappointment because you were primed and ready. This recently happened to me at work.

They had some new assignments at my standardized patient (SP) job. Usually, as the title implies, I'm a patient who helps students interact with real people, but this time around they needed us to act like doctors, thus switching the roles. Not only that, but we had to play stressed out and harried doctors who treated their subordinates rudely as a way to prepare them for such interactions. I'm guessing they're not uncommon given the elevated status that doctors seem to enjoy.

Either way, I wasn't too keen on the whole approach because it's hard to be a jerk, at least when I'm not being a jerk. I can get stressed out just like the best of them, but it has to come naturally. Faking it is a little harder, but that's what's expected of me. I went to my first tryout prepared to do just that, but when I arrived, I was informed that it was only a training session and we were just observing. I wasn't sure how I felt. Like that test in high school, I was relieved, but on the other hand, I was primed and ready.

To soften the blow they provided pizza and dessert, so I wasn't complaining, and I got to watch the actual drill in action. All good things. I was also allowed to leave early since it was only an observational exercise, so I drove home and made it back in time to meet mom at the high school open house, which was very informative and helpful. I love when that happens.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Emory Maiden for the pic.

No comments: