Monday, November 2, 2015

Fun at Ultimate

I think UF is finally done, but we've had a good year with it. A large faction has dropped off the face of the earth, which is a bummer but in the end, it's their loss. It is a bit unfortunate because we had a hardcore group of players who went until the snow fell, and most of them have stopped playing, obviously for various reasons, all of them legit. The way I see it, however, is that they had a chance to not only have fun, but to get some fresh air and exercise and do something that's good for their health. That's physical and mental health, because pushing yourself not only helps your metabolism, but it has profound psychological benefits, as well. More on this at a later date.

For now, our group has shrunk but we've managed to have some fun games, nonetheless. N is dedicated as always, and he's the primary motivating factor for myself. Without his interest I would probably skip out, as well. With the weather getting colder we've stopped playing with bare feet, and it's just a matter of time before even the hardcore stop coming, which is fine. It's winter, after all, and other things are coming up to take our time, like hockey and work. I'm guessing a fair number of people want to stay at home to watch the big football game, but I won't hold that against them. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of things I could be doing instead of running like a madman on the field, including firewood and the barn, but I have found it rewarding to get out there and challenge myself, especially against people who are superior to me in size, speed, and ability. How often do we ever put ourselves into this sort of position?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Tim Blair for the pic.

No comments: