Friday, November 3, 2017

A Very Big Storm

I'm not sure where this storm came from, but we got slammed earlier in the week with a big one. I know people who are still without power, which is a complete bummer. I think the storm arrived on Sunday night, and I had no idea it was going to be so serious. In fact, I slept right through it. Both mom and A said they were up all night because the wind was so loud and menacing, and couldn't believe it didn't wake me up. Mom even said she could hear trees being knocked over by the wind. Those are some serious conditions when that happens.

I actually woke up around 4:00AM because the lights were flickering, and then the power died. This made getting ready for the day a bit of a challenge, to say the least. Not being able to flush the toilet can have serious ramifications, especially if you're a morning person like me. A and I had to get ready for school with no electricity, though we were well prepared with fresh water and plenty of flashlights (and lanterns). In fact, all things considered, things went reasonably smoothly. I was even able to make fruit salad.

By the time we got to school, power was restored at the college, and when I called mom around 9:00, she said the power was back on at home. We really lucked out on this one because our power was only out for a few hours. As I mentioned, there are people who still don't have power, and I'm grateful that ours came back on. The drive to school was an interesting one, as well, because there was plenty of debris on the roads, and traffic lights were out all over town. Throw in the incessant driving winds and stormy conditions, and it was surreal, to say the least. I don't think we got an inordinate amount of rain, but I'd read that some towns were flooded, so it was some serious stuff, not unlike a hurricane.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sherwin H for the pic.

No comments: