Thursday, November 9, 2017

Preparing for Winter

I don't always remember how the seasons go about changing around here, but it seems like the cold temps have been late in coming this year. I recall having snow on the ground with freezing temps on Halloween, but this year it was downright balmy. In fact, until yesterday, we had spring-like conditions, not to mention a lot of rain. Most people are stoked about the warm weather but I have to confess that I'm sort of glad that it's becoming more seasonal. At the very least I welcome a break in the rain. It's either feast or famine up here because right before the deluge of rain we had drought conditions. Can't we just get something in-between?

Either way, looking at the bright side, I was able to get more winter prep done (like a squirrel or mouse gathering nuts) with the warmer conditions, though the rain made it a bit harder. There's the perennial task of firewood, which goes on and on, but as I mentioned before, I got more painting done, and we're in good shape for kindling. I also prepped the blueberry grove (8 plants, enough for me to call it our “grove”) for the winter, which means fertilizing and replacing the mulch. The grass could probably use one more cutting, not to mention raking, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Once the snow comes we won't even see it, though I will pay the price in the spring. The main things I need to do is empty the power tools and store them for the winter. I'm not sure what to do with the surfboards and may end up putting them in the basement.

Our deck is in dire need of attention, but that's going to be a spring/summer project, and of course, I have to finish that darn barn (where are you Amazing PR Man?). One pie-in the sky project is to work on the insulation in the attic of the main house, and I need to seal the windows up there because the wasps are invading. I'm not really looking forward to that one, but stay tuned for more.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to codregor for the pic.

No comments: