Monday, October 5, 2009

Down to the Wire in the Big Apple

We are slated to head down to NYC this weekend and it's going down to the wire. We have yet to secure lodgings in the city, and what little is available costs and arm and a leg. We may be sacrificing a limb.

We've suffered through this in the past, sometimes on major trips. The last time we were in France, we didn't have a place to stay in Paris on our last night literally up to the point where we taking the train back to the city. We'd arranged at the last minute to stay with my cousin and her boyfriend using her cell phone on the train. BTW, I got dirty looks from the other passengers because I didn't realize we were in a "no phone" car. How was I supposed to know, all the signs are in French! Coupled with the fact that I have no clue how to use a cell phone, and I must have been a sight to behold.

Anyway, we thought of hitting up my cousins again for a place to crash since they are hip New Yorkers and are always happy to help, but my one cousin just had a baby, literally last night, and my other cousin's boyfriend is staying with her, so I can't possibly inquire about that.

So we'll wait and see. One thing is for sure, we're going down there. The only small detail that we've left out is that we're not sure where we're going to stay. We could always pitch a tent in Central Park, now that we're camping officionados after our vacation, but knowing New York, it would probably be hard to find a space because it would be too crowded.

Also, in our defense, we figured that a week and a half was enough to find a hotel, but in typical New York fashion, you have to reserve something a month in advance to even have a chance. For big events, forget about it, it's not available to the general public or working class stiffs like myself.

This should be interesting. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Gayle Lindgren for the pic.

No comments: