Friday, October 30, 2009

It's the Little Things in Life

The other day I picked up some mechanical pencils for the kids. The problem we've been having is that I can't seem to buy a decent pencil. Maybe I should go all out and buy the quality type, whatever that is. The issue we constantly run into is that every pencil we own, and we own plenty, is awful. The lead (our daughter is continually adept at reminding me that it isn't actually lead) always breaks, and not just the tip. This wouldn't be a problem, but it breaks off in large pieces well below the wood line. It's very frustrating.

So I decided to embrace technology and get mechanical pencils. Of course, I slaved away at which ones to get, because when you go to Staples, there are at least two dozen different kinds. The entire experience was not unlike choosing a breakfast cereal.

Either way, I went with the side-clicking variety, and the kids went bonkers over them. They love them, especially N, whom I know is just itching to take the thing apart to see how it works. Mark my word, it's going to happen, which is fine.

And best of all, something as small as a pencil made them eager and enthusiastic about doing their school work. Just goes to show you, it's the little things in life. Or was it, "the pen is mightier than the sword?" In this case, the pen is mightier than the pencil

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Zsuzsanna Kilián for the pic

No comments: