Thursday, February 27, 2014

Beggars Can’t Be Choosers, Right?

A few weeks back I spoke with a friend of mine who said he’d get me some ski passes to a local ski hill, and that he’d bring them to the next practice. Our sons are the same age and I mentioned that it would be fun for them to ski together. He works there, and this offer came about unprompted by me, so you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was.

Well, as luck would have it (or should I say bad luck?), on the day of the next practice, we had this massive snowfall that closed schools and hockey practice. My friend didn’t show up to the rink, and we didn’t get our ski passes. Total bummer. I figured that maybe I’d see him the next day or even the next week, and he’d give them to me.

Of course, that didn’t happen. For whatever reason, we never crossed paths, and a couple of weeks went by and I never saw him, even though I saw his son all the time. Either him mom brought him, or I’d just miss my friend. I could have left it at that, but I decided instead to email him and just casually mention the passes and if they were still a possibility. Yes, it was a little shameless, but when you’re trying to save money, especially for something as extravagant as skiing, you’ll go to great lengths.

Well, I ended up seeing him the next day at practice, and he said he’d leave two passes for me at the desk. The problem was, I was bringing three people: myself, N, and A. I wanted to ask for three passes, but couldn’t do it. I was too embarrassed, and figured I’d just by one ticket for myself, maybe a half-day.

Here is where the irony kicks in. We usually ski on Mondays when they have this amazing deal. The cost of buying one ticket for myself on Wednesday was more than buying tickets for all three of us on Monday. I hate when that happens. I was bummed, no doubt, but couldn’t really complain. The skiing was amazing, it had snowed the day before, and conditions were stellar, the best all season. Plus, N got to ski with his buddy, AG, whose dad works there, as well. I think A was not as thrilled since none of her friends were there, and at her age, it’s all about being with her friends, but we had a nice day, nonetheless.

I learned a lesson in that getting something for free isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. If only I’d have gotten that third pass, but beggars can’t be choosers, right? Just have to be happy with what you got.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to fimonfabre for the pic.

No comments: