Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chairman Me

I'll tell you one thing, not only is it lonely being chair of a board, but it comes with responsibility, as well. Funny how that works. For the most part being on a library board is pretty painless, especially ours. The people get along fine and there is little, if any, contentiousness. People do want to minimize their level of commitment, which I completely understand, except that it then seems to fall into my lap.

First off, I didn't really want to be the chair, but as the senior board member with two new recruits, it was pretty much a given I was going to get the job. Again, it's not such a big deal, but now I feel like I have to make a concerted effort to not only be there, but to be a contributing presence as well (no more napping in the back). In the past, I could coast along and be invisible. This also suggests (no obligations) that I attend town meetings when issues pertaining to the library come up.

Finally, I recently had to take the reigns on more localized events. Our director has just finished her first year, for which she did a stand-up job. We are all very pleased, but it requires that we evaluate her and submit it in writing. Well, guess who got pegged to write said report? Yours truly, of course. Normally this wouldn't be so bad because we all have positive things to say, but it's just one more thing for me to have to deal with. I did manage to deal with it, of course, but as you can imagine, it weighed heavily on my shoulders until I finally dove in and just did it.

And, as you can imagine, it sure felt good to get it done. Funny how that works.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mary J. Burroughs for the pic. 

No comments: