Friday, March 7, 2014

Dinner with Friends

Last week after N’s big tournament they went to supper at Bennington’s and his whole team went, or at least most of them. Enough to where we couldn’t back out of this one. GG was cool enough to reserve a table for the team, and all the families went. It was a big contingent because more than just N’s team went, a lot of families that were involved in the tournament one way or another attended, and it was a nice time.

Of course, I had some issues, but what would my life be like without some issues? First off is my social anxiety in big groups. I’ve learned to deal with it, embrace it even, for the sake of the kids, who want to be around their friends and teammates, which in the modern world of the homeschooling parent means that I have to be there, too. My parents never went through this, they never even knew who my friends were.

The other issue I have was the cost. Bennington’s is on the nicer side, so we were looking at double-digit burgers and the like. I couldn’t make an issue out of the cost because I didn’t want the kids to be self-conscious. We were there to have a good time, right? Suck it up, as the saying goes. The food was excellent, it’s just tough when you feel the money draining from your wallet.

The third issue was that we had an early morning the next day, so we had to eat and run. A had a 10:00AM game in New York, so we had to get up at 4:30AM the next morning, which meant an early bedtime. N had an early morning, too, just not as brutal. For the record, A is very good about getting up, and can bounce out of bed and be ready at the drop of a hat. With N, it’s a struggle, but he manages.

The final issue was that R was a little incensed at all the time we’re spending for hockey. I can’t totally blame her, but hockey just takes a lot of time. It’s hard, however, enjoying yourself at an event when someone sends you off with grumblings of discontent can ruin an evening, especially with the knowledge that when you get back home, you’ll be revisiting that environment of scorn.

To quote John Lennon, “Nobody told me there’d be days like these. Strange days, indeed.”

Sometimes life sure ain’t easy, but then again, if it was, what the heck would I have to write about?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Lukas Dreser for the pic.

No comments: