Thursday, March 20, 2014

Life is All About Timing (part 2)

This is a follow-up to a previous listing a few days ago, where our timing serendipitously worked out. It was A's birthday, but we hate to leave a sibling out of the festivities, even if it's the other's big day. It doesn't have to be much, and if anything, it shouldn't be, but it's also tough completely ignoring the other. I realize I may be just naive about it all, because from what I can gather, not everyone feels this way. Fair enough, it's just the way I see it, and this feeling is magnified when it involves your own children.

Either way, A's birthday came recently, and she was all set with presents. We didn't have much for N, however, and I had to scramble at the last minute to find something that would interest him. When you ask him if he wants anything, he always says, "no." I think he's just being lazy and doesn't want to think about it, or what he wants he knows he's not going to get. His dream in life is to obtain a mini-bike or snowmobile, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

We're all lucky that JR is always thoughtful and never leaves anyone out, but I felt like mom and dad had to put in some effort, as well. The question is, what? I was out shopping in the morning to get breakfast stuff and flowers for A's big day, and happened upon some metal vehicle building kits. I wasn't sure, though I had a sense, if he would like them, so I got two. I figured at the very least, he had something to unwrap along with A. Well, as it turns out, he really liked them, and spent hours (at least 3-4 hours) building them. He was so focused and patient, it was amazing to see. The vehicles require are rather involved in their assembly, and require tools that are included.

I was so stoked about his interest that I immediately went out and got the other two. I was lucky that the store had an assortment, and N went right to work and finished them. That kids is such an engineer, I think he should go apprentice with his uncle, the Amazing PR Man, for a summer. How cool would that be?

I'm glad it worked out. We got him a gift that he enjoyed, and it was creative and enriching. A double whammy of fun. I love when that happens.


Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: