Friday, August 22, 2014

Lost (and found) in the Brambles

The other day N and I were engaging in a quick round of disc golf when I lost my disc in the thick tall brambles. It was a long drive and couldn't see exactly where it landed, but had a general idea. Since we golf in t-shirt and shorts, it makes searching through the thorny branches a little challenging, especially when the fear of poison ivy lingers in the back of your head. It didn't help that I was tired and had a bad attitude. After about 10 minutes of searching, I told N that it wasn't worth it, much to his chagrin. He is very keen on keeping all the discs together, and I have to confess feeling disappointed in myself for giving up.

Interestingly enough, I saw JM at the field. He's the one who lent us the discs and it was his disc that was actually lost in the grass. I apologized to him and told him I'd find the thing, but he reassured me that he wasn't going to miss it. This assuaged my guilt by didn't deter me from going to find it the next day. Donning long pants, heavy boots, and a pair of shears, I went back to the field in search of that disc. When I got there, a couple was searching for their disc, which they had lost a couple of days earlier, and I asked if they spotted mine. Sure enough, they had, and gave it to me. Since I was geared and ready to brave the brambles, I volunteered to help them find theirs. How could I not? They found mine.

We must have spent 45 minutes hacking through the tall grass and raspberry bushes to no avail. At some point I had to leave, so I apologized and went home. I felt bad we couldn't find their disc, but was stoked that we located mine.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Karen Laws for the pic.

No comments: