Sunday, August 17, 2014

One Huge Step (literally and figuratively)

That's one huge step for real-man(kind) in training. I hope the Amazing PR Man (and probably my Mentor, as well) is sitting down for this one, but after only about two years, I finally managed to cut the Hardy Board and fill in the gap on the vestibule floor. I even cut 1/2 inch plywood for the sub-floor. Watch out, there's no stopping me now.

A couple of years ago the Amazing PR Man was here visiting and in a day, and I'm not exaggerating here, he dry-walled the vestibule after it had sat with exposed insulation for several months. It was an amazing sight to behold. We borrowed GG's truck, drove to Britton's, got the drywall and he went to work. In a matter of hours he cut the drywall and put it up. I was in awe of the guy. He also cut away part of the floor that was in need of repair and told me that I would need to replace that section of cement board. Actually, he told me I needed to do a lot of things, most of which I have yet to do.

Either way, part of what gave me pause was cutting the Hardy Board. It required changing the blade on the circular saw with one designed to cut through cement board. This sort of intimidated me, plus I worry about making a mistake in changing blade. Consequently, the project sat for a year or two, until last week I finally decided to take action. As you'd expect, changing the blade and cutting the Hardy Board was a lot simpler than I thought it would be. I had some big pieces of 1/2 plywood, which I probably purchased way back expressly for this project, so I measured the space and cut the pieces to fit. Then I put them in.

R is always saying that we have to make some progress on that vestibule before her brother or parents visit, and now we're there... sort of. I still need to finish drywalling, but let me wallow int he glow of achievement for a bit.


Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: