Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tech Camp

This is a bit after the fact, but a couple of weeks back we managed to enroll N into a tech camp over at one of the local high schools, and he really enjoyed it. Tech camp might be a bit of a misnomer because it wasn't all about computers. I think the name derives from the fact that it was held at what they call a "technical high school" or technical center, or what I grew up knowing as a trade school. We had heard about the camp but weren't sure how to go about enrolling in it, and of course we were behind the curve and submitted our application late, landing him on the waiting list. Since we were new to the system we weren't really sure what we were potentially missing out on.

I had pretty much written it off and told N as much when three days before the first day I got an email explaining to me what we would need for his first day of camp. I contacted the person in charge and inquired about the wait list and she informed me that he had in fact made it into the camp. Very cool. We were all excited but also unsure of what to expect. After all, we were, or rather he was entering into new territory, and that's always a call for anxiety. To his credit, he didn't seem nervous at all, he never does.

On the first Monday morning, I made him a lunch and got him ready to go, with the usual ceremony of sending your child off to camp when you're a neurotic and overbearing parent. And then we were off. I didn't know this but the camp is pretty big and draws on kids from a pretty wide area. There were probably 100 kids in attendance, and we knew several of them from homeschooling group and even our own neighborhood. I dropped him off and went about my day, returning after lunch to pick him up.

As it turns out, he had a pretty good time, and for good reason. The camp is really geared toward a lot of things he enjoys, including 3D printing, working with computers, and making and breaking down gadgets. They even got to work with an excavator simulator. He really enjoyed it, and I think he jived with some of his camp-mates, though it's hard to tell with him because he doesn't give up much info. Suffice it to say that he was excited to go back, despite the early morning start time. Plus, he informed me that he didn't need lunch, sparing me the need to pack one for him in the AM. It also gave us a chance to go get some lunch on our own away from the junk food authorities, which meant pizza and cheeseburgers.

All in all it was a great experience, and I only wish it were longer. Since it was sponsored by the town it was a bargain, as well. I love when that happens.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ye Tan for the pic.

No comments: