Thursday, January 12, 2012

Back in the Groove, Sort Of

It’s good to get back in the swing of our everyday lives, though some things are lagging a bit, including this blog. I can’t seem to find the groove, even though there is a lot going on, and we’re busy. That big holiday rush seems to have disrupted our daily rhythms, in more ways than one. Either way, can’t whine about, or can I?

As usual, a big chunk of our life is about hockey, and then more hockey. Even A is getting into the act, a bit, and she’s enjoying it, I think. It helps that her good friend CB is a player, and has an ice rink at home. We go over there and play, and A does a nice job. I think she is good on skates, and one thing I’ve learned is that playing hockey definitely takes your mind off the perils of skating, it makes you less afraid.

N is in a bit of a hockey frenzy, and I’m not quite sure what to make of it. I’m glad he loves the game, not just because I love it, but because he’s finding his thing. His sister has a large variety of interests, and he has in the past tagged along. Now he’s got his thing irrespective of A, and we’re all for it, but man is he into it. He wants to go out and play all the time. We lucked out in a way because our good friends and neighbors built an ice rink in their backyard, and not only do we get to skate, but even better, we get to play hockey with our friends. Two or three times a day, if we want. This helps in many ways because not only is it free, but it’s close, and we can practice hockey.

Even A has gotten into the act, though I’m not completely clear how much is just going along for the ride, and how much is genuine love for the game. I think she senses that hockey has become a prominent part of our lives, and doesn’t want to be left out, keeping in mind that in the past, almost every activity or interest that we pursued was her thing. Even still, I feel for her, and hockey is consuming. That said, I do think she enjoys it, and is quite accomplished at the game. Best of all, she goes for it, even in the face of being less experienced and perhaps a bit daunted. You have to give her credit for it, especially when her brother is not as supportive as he could be.

For the record, she is a great big sister, a fact that N might not fully appreciate. She mentioned the other day that she didn’t want to draw too much attention to her growing interest in hockey because she felt like it was her brother’s gig and she didn’t want to steal the spotlight. How cool is that? How many kids would be that considerate and selfless. I hope he realizes how lucky he is.

Anyway, that said, I don’t want her to think her place in the hockey universe is any less important, even though it sort of is since she doesn’t play. A few issues have come up, including some equipment questions. Everything she uses is second hand, except of course stuff that is a bit personal, like a jock. She complained that her gloves are small, they smell, and give her a rash. However, being a good sport, she said that she could live with it, but I feel little bad for her. New gloves would cost about $20, but the issue becomes, does she really need them? Then again, I don’t want her to feel neglected. My inclination is to get her new gloves, but we’ll see where this one goes.

One last note, the possibility of her playing in the girl’s development league came up, but we really have to see how this hockey thing with her goes. I don’t want to push it on her, but I do want her to pursue her interests, especially when I think it would give her an avenue to find a cool niche.

Boy, life sure is complicated when you become a hockey family. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jon Wisbey for the pic.

No comments: