Friday, January 27, 2012

Ultimate Hockey Weekend

How’s this for a hockey weekend? A&N both had games/practices on both Saturday and Sunday, and we went to two hockey games at Dartmouth. We clearly drank the hockey “Kool Aid,” and my only question is, can I have more? Since A has joined the House team, we have even more games and practices to attend. She’s having fun, and I’m glad she’s doing a team sport, because I think her personality fits a group activity. Plus, like her brother, she’s a good learner, so she is picking up on the game, getting some exercise, and polishing her skating. All good things.

The weeked started on Friday when we went to homeschool hockey. I’ll tell you one thing, they don’t mess around. They are all good players, and I felt pretty inadequate out there. It’s pretty intense, and I can see why A&N had reservations about playing again. Those big teenagers and adults work pretty hard out there, and being a little kid would be a challenge. I missed last week because I had to take friends back to school, but this time around, I came ready to play. They split the group up so kids played kids and adults played adults, and I skated by buns off. It was quite the workout. I even collided with another guy who easily outweighed me by 30 pounds, and it was like hitting a wall. Fortunately, I wasn’t hurt, but it sure was a wakeup call.

I’m also on the fast-track to learning how to play this game. No messing around for me. Just get in their and learn the hard way, but what else is new? I’ve found this the best way to not only learning how to play, but to getting in better shape. It so reminds me of ultimate frisbee, and it’s definitely more effective to have fun while exercising. It takes your mind off how miserable you are. When we were playing hockey, I was struggling constantly to catch my breath, but you are out there trying to stay in the game and skating hard. You can’t just quit and take a break, you have to give it your all. It’s loads of fun, and I lose liters of fluid. I love it.

I thought both A and N did a great job out there, and the dads were complimenting N on his skating and hockey abilities. I think he is still adjusting to the full ice arrangement, but it’s good for him to get a taste of it. If anything, it probably makes the half-ice game a little easier. Plus, the kids are mostly really nice, and they are all very supportive of both A&N. After the game, we headed over to the library and then to meet mom for Boloco burritos. We had a nice supper and then off to the women’s hockey game against Colgate.

It’s a shame that people don’t go to the women’s hockey games, because they are so good. They are really enjoyable to watch, just less physical, but man do they have talent. In a way, it’s more interesting to watch because they really have to rely on their skill, no brute force involved. Maybe it’s a good thing, because we can get any seat we want, and they have all sorts of contests and the lack of an audience only increases our odds of winning. With that in mind, we came close several times before finally winning a plane ticket from Lebanon airport to NYC. How cool is that?

They announced at the game that there would be a kid’s press conference the next night at the Cornell game, who happen to be in first place. The kids wanted to go, but we had two hockey games the next day, so there was no way we were going to make it. However, we woke up to snow, and that meant a hard drive to Burlington for N’s game. A had an early practice in the morning, so I took her while N slept in, and at that practice I got word that the Burlington game was cancelled. So, our plans shifted, and now we could go to the Dartmouth game, which was a great one. It was here where we won the plane ticket, and afterward, the kids got to ask the players questions, which was kind of cute. They even got free pizza. I tried to steal a slice, but they had limited quantities.

On Sunday, we had two more kid’s games to go to. N had a morning game in Hartford, and man was it cold. It was -10 outside, which meant -10 inside the arena. The rink is basically a shack with no insulation, and everyone was miserable. The player’s water bottles froze, I kid you not. For the record, N did a great job, he’s coming into his own as a player. After his game, we came home, had some lunch, and then went to A’s game in the afternoon. It was fun watching her play, and she, too, did a great job. She’s a good skater and even though she lacks experience, she’s a good learner and can figure out what needs to be done.

After the game, we finally got to unwind that evening after a long hockey weekend. I have to admit, I rather like all this hockey, and if anything, I wish I was out there playing myself.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to sean ratke for the pic.

No comments: