Monday, January 23, 2012

Journalistically Scooped but Learning From It

This is a bit of a bummer, but in these instances you have to find the silver lining in things. Plus, there are usually good learning experiences to had. I had this idea of writing about my learn to play (LTP) hockey class from the perspective of someone who is averse to trying new things but always regrets it. I figured it would speak to people like me who go through life regretting their inaction. Anyway, I wrote the piece and wanted to pitch it to the paper, and contacted a sports writer who someone recommended to me.

This writer decided to take the idea and write the story himself. What a drag. Granted, what I wrote was probably not what they were looking for, and he's a professional and this is his job, but I sure felt a little betrayed. I won’t be calling that dude any time soon. His piece just came out and it completely ignored the theme I was trying to convey. Personally, I think he completely missed a good story in the interest of just getting a quick article out. Informative, but less poignant. Oh well, such is the life of an aspiring journalist.

On the bright note, I think the piece is different enough from my thesis to keep my version alive, and if anything, expand it and shop it around. Plus, in the heat of my feelings of betrayal, I really felt inspired to get off my butt and work harder at putting my writing out there. The time has come to take action, so stay tuned for more.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Bartlomiej Stroinski for the pic.

No comments: