Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Job Search On Hold

I had a lengthy (dare I say, spirited?) discussion with R about my income, or lack thereof, and I decided that I had to go out and get a job. They say the biggest reason families break apart is because of money, and I can see why. The unfortunate reality is that when you stay at home and raise the kids, it’s seen as worthless in society’s eyes because you don’t make any money, and let’s face it - money makes the world go around. This is a shame because not only is being a homemaker really hard work, but raising kids is the most important job out there. Don’t get me started.

I’m learning that there are jobs out there, and I’m willing to flip burgers if need be to make ends meet. The biggest problem is at what point is it not worth it? I can get a job making $8/hour and be away from home for 8 hours a day, but it would break my heart to be away from the kids, and would it be worth it. I contacted a few businesses and had interviews within a few days. One place over in Woodstock was prepared to take my application to the next level and I believe hire me, but I ran into complications with our son getting injured.

One thing to consider is that I get about $20-25 for the blog articles I write, and with bonuses I can probably make a comparable income to a part time minimum wage job. Add in the fact that I can stay at home and practice my Martha Stewart routine, and I think it makes more sense to try and work at home. This is my first choice, because who wants to dedicate themselves to a job that only values you for what you can do for it? Most people, actually.

The biggest stumbling block is me. The impetus to make this plan work falls on my shoulders, so I have to make it work. It’s not always easy with making meals, shopping for food, cleaning, chauffeuring the kids around, and training to be a real man. I think most people, men and women alike, would find it challenging, to say the least, but with greater challenge comes greater reward, right? Nobody likes a whiner, except the whiner themselves.

This should be good. The next few months will be telling, so stay tuned for more. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sam Howzit for the pic.

No comments: