Thursday, March 7, 2013

Man With a Plan

As I mentioned, we had a crazy hockey weekend last week, and it involved a ton of driving, but I’m glad I was able to pull it off, at least on some level. Some of the kid’s games had to be missed, which is a bummer, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Factor in the shuttling of kids to friends houses and various sleepover, plus the fact that I was flying solo, and you have the makings of a fun filled weekend, to say the least.

It all began on Friday, where N had two games, one in the early afternoon, and one in the late evening. Now since A had nothing going on, she had to sit through N’s first game, but it wasn’t so bad because her buddies were there since they have siblings on N’s team. The plan was for A to spend Friday night at a friend/teammates house so that she could catch a ride to her early Saturday morning game, which was not only at 8:00AM, but was all the way in Middlebury. N had an early Saturday morning game, as well, but this one was close to home.

I arranged for A to spend the night at RD’s house. The original plan was for RD’s mom to pick A up at the arena since RD was skiing that day nearby. It would have been easy enough to just meet her at the ski hill, but then RD’s mom, AB, couldn’t make it. RD was going to have to catch the bus home, and then AB would come to our house to get A. Since N had a game that evening, he needed to stay with his team and have some supper, coaches orders.

I left N with the team and took A home, where I wolfed down some food and waited for AB. She showed up around 5:30, we chatted for a bit while A gave RD the tour of the house, and then they were off and running. This where things are a little nutty, like the rest of our lives. A had another 8:00AM game on Sunday (whose bird brained idea was that?) in Middlebury. I was planning on missing N’s game on Sunday to make it to A’s game in Middlebury. However, I figured it would be more fun for her to ride up with a friend, which would mean another sleepover.

For the record, there was no shortage of offers to help, and I am grateful to all the parents who came forward and offered assistance. It was really cool. Not wanting to take advantage of AB’s hospitality, I asked another family to help, the C’s, and they said yes. They offered to take A for the entire weekend, but I had already arranged things with AB. AB also offered to take A for another day, but I told her I had already arranged things with the CGs. Is any of this making sense?

Either way, once A was all squared away, I headed back to the arena for N’s second game, which was at 8:00PM. It was going to be a late night, exacerbated by an early morning game the next day. Anyway, N’s team got worked over, coach DF was livid, and I think he lost a bit of control. Not a good example, and some of us were a bit incensed and disappointed.

On Saturday, N and I woke up early and went to the arena early for this game, and then they were done for the day, at least in terms of playing hockey. The day was filled with activities, however. After N’s game, I jumped in the car and drove to Middlebury to watch A’s second game. I arranged for N to sleep over at the Gs house. This was because I was going to A’s early Sunday game, and the Gs would take N to his early Sunday game. To make it easier and more fun for N, I asked J&GG if he could sleep over, and they were very enthusiastic about helping. They had another teammate, TB, over, so N could join the party. He was thrilled, and I was grateful, especially since it was a long day. N was going to their house after his 9:00AM game, then spending the entire day over there, sleeping over, and then going to his game on Sunday, which I couldn’t attend since I was going to A’s game.

I could have easily taken A up to her game since that was the plan, but I figured she would have more fun on the 2 hour drive with her friend. As I mentioned, I arranged a second sleepover for Saturday night with the CGs. That meant that at some point after A’s Saturday games, she would have to get all of her sleepover stuff and hockey gear to the CGs. The girls team was coming back to the arena to see their championship banner raised, so I would see A at that time.

Saturday was also the day of the Boston Bruins Alumni game, where they were playing the coaches, which would include me. That meant that I would have to drive back to UA after A’s second Saturday game, put on my gear, and play in the game. Talk about crazy, I don’t think I stopped moving all weekend. A&N would both be at the game, so I could check in with them and make sure things were okay, which they were. After the Bruin’s game, the Bruins and N’s team were going to Bentley’s for supper, including all the families. I had decided to skip the dinner and go home to get some rest, though people were encouraging me to attend.

The Alumni game was a blast, though somewhat unnerving having all these people you know watching you play hockey. The place was packed! It was so much fun, though. Hockey, need I say more? Everyone filed out and went to dinner after the game, and I got cajoled into helping the arena run the games, which was fine, I was in no hurry. I sat in the penalty box and chatted with GG, who kept prodding me to go to Bentley’s and be with the team. I left the arena around 6:00 and headed straight home. I was toying with the idea of going to Hanover to watch the Dartmouth game, but in the end, I went home and watched a movie, and by 10:00, I was in bed.

Then on Sunday, I woke up around 5:00AM and drove up to Middlebury again to watch A’s morning game, skipping N’s morning game. It was fun to see her play, and they lost but played well, and then I jumped back in the car and headed back to UA to catch the final minutes of N’s game. This game was a thriller, they won the rematch in regulation and should have gone to the championship, but because of some crazy rule, they had to play a 10 minute tie breaker, which they lost on a cheap goal, thus denying them a chance to play in the final.

It was heartbreaking and disappointing once again, but maybe that’s a good lesson to learn in life. I think the rule was silly, but rules are rules, what are you going to do?

Now for one final complication, I arranged for A to get a ride home with CP, since the CGs live far away, and CP lives much closer. When they got back, I piled N into the car and we went and picked her up. Then it was back home and return to normalcy, whatever that means.

Okay, I’ve said too much. Time to go. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to all of our friends for their help. I couldn’t have done it without you. Thanks also to Dan Moynihan for the pic.

No comments: