Monday, June 1, 2015

First World Problems

I was fixing the downstairs bathroom sink and ran into a small complication that really set me back in terms of time. Bathroom sinks seem to regularly clog up and require semi-annual cleanings, which for the record are not pleasant endeavors: it's usually some slimy black, hairy, gelatinous disgusting blob that is causing the backup. I guess it's a good thing I can't identify what is in there because that would surely cause me to lose my lunch. Either way, the fix is pretty easy, even for a real man in training as myself. I basically have to get under the sink, remove the trap, and clear out the pipe. This is easily accomplished with a wad of paper towel pushed through with a rigid wire, and out comes the blob.

I often run into complications in putting the sink back together. I was taught that all the connections under the sink should be hand, not tool, tightened, but there always seems to be a leak. I have to fiddle with things but mostly the problems stem from the ball joint that controls the sink plug. You know the one, it has a rod that goes up and down on the faucet and holds water in the basin. The ball joint is held in by a bolt of some sort, and though I should have intuitively known this, there is a gasket that creates a seal. I never gave much thought to this gasket, but if you've ever worked with them, they tend to degrade over time. When I put the bolt on this time, the water kept leaking, not matter how much I tightened it. Finally I took a look and lo and behold, the gasket was broken. It seemed like it was made of plastic, which doesn't seem like the best material.

I had to drop everything and drive to Aubuchon, where they seemed to be under-staffed because several customers, including yours truly, were standing around waiting while the one guy working the front was helping a woman buy seeds for her garden. For the record, she seemed oblivious to the fact that she was monopolizing this guys time while we stood around looking like fools. I walked to the back and told the manager that he had customers that needed help. He seemed stressed and snapped back at me, "We're helping customers back here." Geez, do you want my money or not?

I told a woman who was also waiting about my experience and she said they never seem very happy at this store. I managed to coax the information I needed from the guy, got a new gasket which was made of rubber, and it only cost me 75 cents. I was bummed that what normally takes about 20 minutes took me about 2 hours, but I should be grateful that getting the part I needed was, for the most part, pretty easy, and that they even had it. In other words, stop whining about little things and be grateful for all the good in your life, right? 


Oh well, to complain is human, especially when it involves First World Problems, right? Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Karen Rustad for the pic.

No comments: