Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Saved By The African Lunch

The other day we had a crazy busy day and I was voicing my angst over the challenges of putting supper on the table, and mom came to the rescue on that front. It was the usual bout of nuttiness with LAX, book club, work and other assorted adventures, keeping us out of the house for most of the day. For the most part this is not a bad thing because it means there's a lot to do and the kids are having fun (who cares if dad is having fun?). However, being out of the house all day makes it difficult to put a healthy meal on the table, and it reminds me of why fast food and prepared food is so popular. It's just too darn hard to cook unless you have a solid chunk of time in the kitchen, and even when you have the time, it's not easy to find the energy.

This time around I was thinking about the day ahead and told mom that I didn't think I could pull off making dinner, though admittedly I was whining a bit. She reminded me that she had all this leftover food from the African Lunches that they hold at work. All I had to do was make rice, and she had the chicken curry and ground nut stew. I was practically doing cartwheels in the kitchen. Plus, it was a one bowl meal, making setup and cleanup that much easier. Don't you love when that happens.

I will say this, life sure is more enjoyable when you can appreciate the little things in life.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Priscilla for the pic.

No comments: