Thursday, June 25, 2015

Fun Father's Day

Okay, falling behind again, as usual. It's amazing how the days creep up on you and before you know it, a week has passed. I am trying to avoid this but it seems to keep happening so maybe I just need to live with it... nah.

I wanted to talk about Father's Day (FD) but that was ages ago, but I'm going to talk about it anyway. It wasn't that much time, was it? I didn't want to make a big deal about the day because I'm a bit cynical about all these contrived holidays, but I didn't want to be a stick in the mud, either. Mom and the kids kept asking me what I wanted to do and the truth is, there really wasn't much I wanted to do, but at some point I couldn't keep saying that. I started sounding too much like my dad, way too pragmatic and not so much fun. Not really knowing what I wanted to do, I figured food was always a good outlet, so I decided on pizza and ice cream. No argument from the kids, but I'm sure mom wasn't so thrilled, though to her credit, she went with it.

I even got a FD breakfast, with pancakes and bacon, though for the record, I cooked the bacon. Sunday breakfasts are a bit of a tradition in our house, and it's always nice to have a slow and hearty meal together as a family. Afterward I figured I should get some work done outside, not only because there's a ton of it that needed to be done (there still is), but also to burn off some calories to earn my pizza and ice cream. I ended up working some more on the garden, getting more tomatoes into the ground, then I mowed the lawn (so cliche) and went to work on the woodpile, which is light years away from being finished, but more on that later.

At some point everyone, including yours truly, was getting hungry, so we headed out to W. Leb to eat at Ziggy's and then to Fore-U for some ice cream. Everyone seemed to want veggie pizza, though I personally think pizza does best with a salty meat on it, but that's just me. They have a pretty good deal over there where you can get a specialty pizza and a free small cheese pie to go along with it, so we did that, though somehow the pizza didn't blow me away. Then it was off to Fore-U, where there were some pleasant surprises, though the place was packed. I think mom was impressed, it was her first time there, but it's usually pretty crowded. I love that place.

First off, we had a coupon for a free sundae with the purchase of the same. One of the things I want on FD just happens to be a hot fudge sundae, so N and I got one each and A got a cone of chocolate PB ice cream. The idea was that we would all share in the fun, that way the ice cream gets spread out a little and one person doesn't end up eating a ton of ice cream by themselves. At least that's how it works in theory. Plus, mom didn't want to eat a ton of ice cream, it's just not her thing. Since it was FD, Fore-U was giving away ice cream cones, and since we had a coupon, we ended up buying just one sundae. How cool is that?

We sat under the tent and watched the crowds enjoying their treats, then it was back home to relax for a few minutes, maybe even take a nap, before heading over to ultimate frisbee. The weather was perfect, it cooled down enough to make it bearable, and we had a good crowd of players and the teams were well balanced. It was a lot of fun, and we all got a good workout, enough to justify the thousands of calories that we consumed that day.

In the end, I didn't want to make a big deal about FD, but it turned into a fun and enjoyable day without too much planning while also getting some necessary things accomplished. Best of all, we got to hang out together and just enjoy each other's company, then work up a good sweat. I love when that happens.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jeremy Hall for the pic.

No comments: