Thursday, August 6, 2015

Going Left

Due to the fact that I'm old and falling apart, I've had to be wary of how I employ my moving body parts. The biggest culprit right now is my right shoulder, probably a rotator cuff injury. It's been bothering me for years but usually subsides fairly quickly. Not this time, I've been in pain for weeks. I'm guessing I'm a candidate for shoulder surgery, but that's something I would rather avoid at all costs. It doesn't help playing ultimate frisbee, or splitting wood, for that matter.

Whatever be the case, I can live with a little pain, though much to the chagrin of my family, a little whining will accompany it. One way to lessen this pain has been to use my left arm, instead. It's not as bad as you'd think, and I think I may be left-handed at heart. As I kid I was told by my parents that I used my left hand, but I'm sure they tortured me into favoring my right because that's just something they would have done. I have been trying to throw the frisbee with my left hand, which hasn't been bad, and when I split wood, I've switched to swinging the splitter from the other side. My aim is terrible, but for the most part, it works.

One thing for sure, favoring your left hand sure makes you more thoughtful about pretty much everything you do. Is that such a bad thing?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to keithj5000 for the pic.

No comments: