Sunday, January 17, 2016

Getting Hit On All Sides

While my back/neck issues continue to keep me company, albeit to a lesser degree, I got his with some sort of stomach bug, either food poisoning or stomach flu that put me out of commission for two days. For about 36 hours literally all I ate was a piece of toast and a banana, and even that came back to haunt me. I can deal with a little stomach unrest, but I felt horrible as well and lay in bed for the entire time, getting up only to use the bathroom. It started Wed evening at work, I was at the Inn and worked until around 9:30 and told my co-workers that I was feeling awful and had to go home. I think they sensed that something was wrong because I didn't eat a bite throughout the evening, and I was on for about 6-7 hours. All I did was drink seltzer water trying to calm my stomach. They even asked me why I wasn't eating, especially when there's all this free food.

The walk to the car was brutal because not only did I feel awful, but I had a chill, and it was freezing outside. Then I had to sit down in an even colder car and wait for it warm up, which under these weather conditions takes 20 minutes. I'd driven about 3-4 miles before warm air finally started coming out the vents. Talk about a rough ride. When I got home I ran straight for the bed and slept on and off for the next day and a half. After about 48 hours I was starting to drink more fluids but solid food was still not on the agenda.

Now I'm feeling better but am still not 100%. I'm eating solid food but my appetite is not nearly as raging as what I'm used to. Maybe this isn't a bad thing because I must have lost weight, and I do have issues with snacking and eating at odd hours. Then again, there's got to be a better way to lose weight.

The biggest bummer of being this way is that I am completely useless in terms of getting life necessities accomplished, not that I was ever competent at it, but at least I could stand up and fake it. While I was sick all I did was lay in bed and feel sorry for myself. I didn't even feel up for writing, much less cooking, cleaning or making a living. However, I did get a lot of sleep, which was amazing, and despite my feelings of uselessness, it was a refreshing break to do literally nothing when my life is all about going non-stop. Also, my misery took my mind off my aching back/neck, which I think may be getting better.


How's that for looking on the bright side of things? Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Okay Yaramanoglu for the pic.

No comments: