Friday, March 25, 2016

Making it Happen

A auditioned for a part in a regional play and I think she was on the short list, which she was excited about. The play is a musical and her role is not an acting part but as a member of the backup band. I.e., I don't think she has any speaking lines but she will be on stage playing her guitar, which suits her just fine, though I think A is a really good actor, and I'm not alone in this assessment. This may be something she could pursue as well, but more on that later.

The big caveat to being in the play is that it's a summer learning intensive, which is akin to a drama/theater class or camp. They train the kids in various aspects of the theater, and the production company, Northern Stage, is first rate. They don't mess around and are the real deal in terms of teaching acting and stage production. We know numerous kids who do it, and A and N were both involved years back when the program was run by another teacher. Anyway, as I mentioned, because it's a summer intensive, it costs money. After ruminating over it and factoring in band costs and potential lessons, not to mention summer camps and other extracurricular activities for both kids, we concluded that maybe it wasn't the best time to do this. It doesn't help that my work has slowed to a trickle. A was disappointed but she understood, she always does.

After we informed them that A was not going to be able to participate, K&T said that maybe something could be worked out and they approached Northern Stage about trying to work something out, which I thought was incredibly thoughtful and kind of them. I even thought I would volunteer some of my time to make this work, but let's take this one step at a time. I'm not sure what will come of this but I'm grateful to K&T and Northern Stage for even considering it. Once again, we'll see where this one goes, but at least there's a ray of hope. Good enough for me.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Lynne's Images for the pic.

No comments: