Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Paying the Price

I've been helping out with hockey all season but you begin to realize that coaching kids on the ice is not necessarily that active or aerobic of an activity. Sure, it beats sitting on the couch and eating Twinkies all day, but I don't think I work up too much of a sweat, and this came to light the other day when we did endurance training. I decided to join in the fun when we made the kids to sprints, and afterward I felt like I was either going to throw up or pass out, or both. I couldn't believe it. I had to sit down or else mortify my son by losing my lunch on the ice. Afterward I realized what poor shape I'm in.

With that in mind, this past weekend I decided to get out a little more and maybe even get my heart rate going. Encouraged by the warm weather, which for the record is now gone, I jumped in with two feet and am now paying the price. What else is new? In the morning I wanted to get a paper and decided to ride my bike to the store, which is about 2 miles away. 2 miles on a bike is no big deal, but there is a massive hill involved, and I was wheezing all the way home. Then I did some strengthening exercises, and that afternoon we went out to field and played ultimate frisbee.

By the end of the day, I knew I'd overdone it because my every one of my joints was letting me know they weren't happy. I even rekindled old injuries that I'd forgotten about, and probably created new ones. I was pretty miserable, and of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to let my family know all about it. Interestingly, that evening after supper, I was feeling pretty incapacitated and took my usual after-dinner nap, and when I woke up, a lot of my pain had subsided. Boy was I stoked. It's amazing what a little rest will do for you.

Of course, the next day my muscles were screaming, and my joints still aren't happy, even two days after the fact. Then again, that's how it always goes: I have to endure a little pain to get back in shape. People, mom included, advise me to take it slowly, but somehow I never really know how to do that. Oh well, you reap what you sow, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to tpholland for the pic.

No comments: