Friday, August 8, 2008

It's Still Summer

Things have been mellow and fun, we've been able to live our own schedule because certain parents have been able to find avenues to farm out their kids while not relying on us. Refreshing, to say the least, but our time will come since there are still a few weeks left in summer until school begins. I don't know how parents do it, but one thing is becoming more clear to me-consumption forces the issue.

I've found that a lot of parents spend way too much money, making it imperative to hold down two jobs. Then again, two incomes are a given up here, life is just hard. Even still, the level of spending makes me anxious and uneasy, but it's none of my business, so I'll leave it at that.

The question has been posed to me about daycare-ing in the next few weeks, and I can't say for sure. We do have plans, and in my heart I don't want to do it for several reasons, the most significant of which is that it really disrupts our time together as a family, which I value. Adding one more kid to the mix really changes things, and I'm not saying that because I want to monopolize my kid's time. We just have a great time hanging out together doing nothing but hanging out together, a lost art amongst families. Factor in an overscheduled child who is used to having her hand held or being enrolled in assorted activities, and suddenly all that changes. Also, there is the issue of rebellion, and kids who question adults and don't listen. It all adds up.

And, of course, it's just plain hard, not to mention more expensive. The problem is, our kids love this other kid, and they have fun, and if they had it their way, they'd live together, and maybe that's what being a kid is all about, carefree fun, but for me, it's hard. Plain hard, no way around it, and as a parent who spends most of his time watching over and caring for his kids, I still feel the need to kick, scream and fight to spend quality time with my children, and will do so. That will never change.

So we'll wait and see how this one comes out. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: