Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Summer's Winding Down

I can't believe it's already August, and we've yet to see a day break 100. Something's going on out there. I have to admit, we've had a great summer doing all sorts of fun stuff while not succumbing to the whole camp hysteria. A&N each did one week of Montshire camp and that was it, but we were clearly anomalies in this regard. I'm struck by how much camp kids attend, though I understand that summer must be a hard time for parents with no school.

Even still, the amount of scheduling and expense that go into it is staggering. There are many kids who go to camp every week over the summer, and at well over $200 a pop, that's a lot of dough. I understand the whole Hanover/Norwich set with their two-professional households, but for a lot of folks, I can't help but think that it boils down to the old "don't know what to do with the kids," scenario. It always leads to over-scheduling because the idea of sitting around the house with your kids is unthinkable.

We found that our kids loved camp, but were clearly tired out by it all. So even though they loved it, there was some hesitation and by the end, we were all in need of a break. But we pulled it off, and it wasn't easy. Life with one care continues to force us to be creative and adaptable. All things considered, it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. We would drop off the kids at camp, I would drop R off at work, and then I'd have two hours to myself. Not knowing what to do with myself, I'd hang out at the library and try to write or go shopping for food and various kid necessities. On the day's I'd work, we'd go in together, and it was fun. I think people look at us as weird because we do so much together, especially as a family. I am struck by how different we are, though I wouldn't change a thing.

We had some great milestones this summer. N refused his life-vest and is now a swimming machine, though I still never leave his side. He also just recently shed his training wheels and is now a biking machine, as well. He is so proud and excited, as well he should be. A overcame some huge anxieties and jumped off the diving board, which was big for her. And she is cranking on her home-schooling, moving at warp speed.

In the end, life is good. We are working hard at perfecting our gig, though perfection is a bad way to look at it. We are trying to optimize under less than ideal circumstances, which ironically makes our lives more fulfilling. We spend more time together and rely less on external sources for our enjoyment. I.e., we enjoy eachother's company, and it's not a chore to be together. What else could you ask for?

The weather has been very odd for this time of year. I can't believe how much rain we've gotten, which makes it more challenging to entertain the kids, but then again, they are great at entertaining themselves.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: