Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friday Night Live

We finally made it to Contradance on Friday night, and as usual, the kids had a blast and we all very much enjoyed ourselves. Contradance is such an interesting scene, though I have to confess there are some colorful characters, some of whom I can't quite get a handle on, though I'm sure they think the same of me. It's such a throwback to another time, and though I think it's steeped in nostalgia, it's a fun time. And it's nice that kids can do something that's wholesome and fun without all the techno stuff and overt sexuality that's so prevalent in pop culture. That is not to say, however, that crazy stuff doesn't go on in the Contradance community, but I won't get into that.

What we also really like about it is that we see so many of our friends. There are so many regulars who attend, and after awhile you begin to develop relationships with them because you see them over and over. What really surprises me are the young, hip girls. Mostly girls, not to many guys, but they find it fun and hip enough to attend on a Friday night. If I were a single, young guy, I'd check it out.

I took the kids earlier and my wife met up with us later. We went early to get some soup and bread. Killer soup, BTW, made by JD, and the bread is sometimes donated by Umpleby's, who have killer bread, though I'm not sure if that was the case. The whole scene I believe is driven by volunteers, so it's also a great community event. I don't know if the musicians even get paid, but they do a good job and the dancing is a lot of fun, though our son doesn't like to dance so we just hang out, with all the other young boys, who also don't like to dance. What is it with guys? If they would just dance, it would open them up to unlimited social possibilities with the girls, but maybe that's the hard lessons men need to learn.

We hadn't been in a long time, we'd missed the last three, I believe, and they only come around once a month. We also didn't get to see our friends R&J, but we did see CH and C, who is a good buddy to our kids. Actually one of the few boys well confident enough to dance with the girls. He'll go far in life. We also had a playdate with them earlier that day, so we were lucky enough to get a double dose of our friends. Those days don't come around often.

I've been trying to write but have fallen behind on it all. Plugging away at the blogsites but have been slacking on my blogs. In fact, I've got a queue of drafts that need to be published.

I did have this brilliant notion, inspired by my wife, the photog, that pics help make the blogs more interesting, so I'm giving it a try. It makes it a little harder, but what's a little more work?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Adrian for the pic.

No comments: