Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Guitar Progress, Being Aware, and Consistency

Just when you thought things were not going according to plan, suddenly the clouds part and something tells you that things aren't so futile, after all. I say this because I can't quite gauge what our kids feelings are about guitar. We never practice, which is partly my fault, but I figure if they were inspired, they'd do it on their own. We had class yesterday and in the AM I was kicking myself saying, "$@#&*, we haven't practiced." Then I have to make an arse of myself by alluding to ending the lessons if we're not motivated, to which my ever witty daughter replied, "But dad, I was ready to practice yesterday but you never got around to it." My bad, I know, but there was so much going on... excuses, excuses.

My point is, we decided to get a quick practice in before class. We tuned our guitars and sat down to play. A cranked out Buffalo Gals and it brought a tear to my eye. She's definitely picking up something, and her strumming was beautiful, her timing right on, and though we're playing in open-G tuning, which requires almost no cord transitions, it does require one, and she nailed it. And she sang beautifully. It was pretty incredible, and made me realize we are on the right track. Slowly but surely we're moving to where we want to be, and I myself feel inspired.

Class went well, the teacher is great, and we are making friends. There is a girl our daughter's age who is beginning to click with her. Heck, they are the only two girls in the class, so it's not so unheard of. I also found out that some of the kids will be taking homeschool tennis, so we could very well see them more often. Good vibes all around.

Just wanted to note that I haven't been exercising my hyper-acute-awareness, or HAA, and can feel the anger and frustration bubbling up at times. Have to work a little harder on it, though I haven't been necessarily losing it with the kids, the potential is there, and I don't want to go there. Besides, when I'm in a foul mood I can be a complete dick to people around me, and I always regret that.

More later on our homeschool dramas, but suffice it to say that we are so far on track. Then again, what does that really mean.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: