Sunday, April 26, 2009

Connecting With Friends, High Heels, and Finding Diastatic Malt

We had dinner with J&P and K&G, and it was fun. One of those things where we haven't seen those guys in ages, and rekindling the connection requires overcoming a little inertia, but what always ensues is a good time and a desire to keep the connection alive. We'll see where this goes.

The weather was fabulous on Friday, and as usual, it was a mad scramble just to get out the door. I cut wood in the AM while the kids played together, then we had to complete several tasks before hitting our friends house. First off, we had to make salsa for the meal, then drop MG's stuff off at SG's, then drop of CB's bike, then pick up chips because I left them in the darn car, then over to J&P's. It was a bit of a scramble, but we got there around 4:00 and the kids immediately took off running. It's incredibly fun over there, they have a fantastic layout and everyone enjoys it.

PD came home soon after I'd arrived, and we all set about prepping the BBQ. I resolved to avoid alcohol so I brought along O'Doul's, setting myself up for scorn but at some point you just have to stop caring what everyone thinks. The food was great, though a lot of red meat, and then we hung out by the fire and made s'mores. It got really cold by nightfall, but everyone had a great time, we enjoyed seeing old friends, and then we came home.

I did my usual shopping gig on Saturday, though I was pressed for time because instead of getting my usual early start, the kids wanted to go to CB's to play and I waited until they were dressed and ready to take them over. So I was about two hours later than usual, which meant that I had to battle the crowds. I also tried to take care of some business. I just bought logger boots and had a huge issue with the arch, or what I thought was the arch. In actuality, the problem I had was with the high heel. I didn't realize they were so high, but it hurt my foot. I assumed it was a defect in the shoe, and went to Dann and Whit's to get an exchange, but it wasn't the case. It was something I was going to have to live with, and I gained a whole new appreciation for women's high heels. Anyway, I managed to resolve the problem, sort of, by using padded inserts and lessening the angle of decline. I've yet to test it in the field, however.

Also scored some diastic malt. The only place that has this stuff is King Arthur, and I got two bags. I was going to give one to Kei, but am not sure when I'll see her again. I'm interested in how it will affect my bread.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: