Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reunited, HS Art, and Answering to the Powers That BeS

We finally got to see CB again, and like always, it's feast or famine. We go days with no contact, and suddenly, she and our kids are joined at the hip. It's kind of fun, kind of crazy. The kids went over there on Monday and yesterday she came over. She always passes subtle hints to watch TV, especially since she hadn't seen Star Wars, yet, though I wasn't about to be the one to show it to her. Let her mom and dad confront that one. Our kids loved the movie, BTW, and I'm glad they got to finally watch it. Now, of course, they are asking incessantly about the Empire Strikes Back, but one thing at a time. We'll probably hear from CB at some point in the next day or so, which is nice.

It makes me think about when I was a kid and it was always hard having friends over because not only were my parents totally against the idea, but our house was always messy and my parents were the type of adults that embarrass the hell out of their kids, so having friends over was never fun, unless the units were not home, and they were always home. I want our kids to feel comfortable inviting friends over, and I want our home to be a fun and comfortable place for their friends to visit, so we go out of our way to be inviting, even when it's not so easy. And for someone like me who is exhausted and has the weight of the world on his shoulders, it's never easy, but what in this life is?

We had homeschool art and it was a lot of fun, as usual, but what really struck me was how nice the kids are. They really are considerate and thoughtful about sharing and including kids that are not part of their inner circle. They are not selfish, and it makes it nice for all the other kids involved. Good parenting going on there. I think KS alluded to it being the last one for awhile because she'll be busy, but that perhaps DE might take over and do some outdoor stuff. I feel like I should take the inititiative and come up with something for them to do, but it terrifies me, and I don't have the faintest idea what I would do.

Then again, the fact that I am afraid of confronting it makes it all the more important for me to do just that. We must seek to do that which we feel we cannot, to paraphrase E. Roosevelt. We shall see.

Got lots of homeschool issues to attend to, BTW. I have to register our kids for standardized tests with the school, and I just learned that we screwed up and didn't register our status with the school superintendent. Not sure what the consequences are of this, but I need to do it. This week... yeah right.

SG has been very helpful and I may have to pay him a visit at the school. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kent Murray for the pic.

No comments: