Saturday, April 11, 2009

Spring is a Wonderful Thing

Wow, the weather has been beautiful, and we've really taken advantage of it. In fact, the kids have pretty much spent the entire past few days outside, and it's been great. They can't wait to get outside, and I can't say I blame them.

The temp has been hovering in the mid-50s for the past couple of days, though there is still a bit of snow on the ground. It's funny seeing things pop up out of the snow after a long winter-gloves, hats, toys, etc. I've been keeping busy with yard work while the kids play like crazy. They were nursing head colds but that didn't stop them from playing all day, and the warm weather helped.

Now that the snow is receding, however, the yard is a bit of a mess, and I'm going to have to do some serious clean up. I've already begun the process of raking and clearing out the debris in the flower beds and around the house, and it sure feels good to be outside and staying busy.

I had this cool revelation the other day in the yard that since this is our house, we can do whatever we want to it. That sounds worse than I had intended. I'm not trying to say that we can go crazy and change everything (actually, we can), but more to the point, we can change things as we see fit, and make the modifications that we choose. This includes painting the house a different color if we choose, not that we would, at least not at this point.

The problem we have is that MG is still around and still has her sights set on this house. I know she's out there spying on us, and every change we make is scrutinized and will be commented on accordingly. We can't let that stop us, but it does make us aware, and at some point she'll stop by for a visit and give the place the once over. But what are you going to do?

I had these thoughts as I cleaned up the yard and realized that I could clear away as much of the growth as I wanted. I know MG said that they preferred to leave the woods alone and let them evolve accordingly, and that's fine, but if we want to do it differently, that's our right. With that in mind, I set out to clear out some of the debris and growth that I didn't like to make things a little nicer in appearance. I had no idea what I was doing, but it sure felt good. There is a lot to maintaining a landscape, not mention a lot of hard work.

In a good way, of course. Until the next time, thanks for reading.


for the record, I have to make contact with my blog-pic people

No comments: