Saturday, April 11, 2009

Homeschool Issues, Homestead Issues, and Playing Guitar

I still can't get over how cool it was watching our daughter play guitar. I got such a huge kick out of it, and yet we haven't picked it up since. Shame on me, but we still have time. She tried practicing the other day but I didn't have time to tune her guitar because I was cooking/cleaning/dealing. There's never enough time. One note-the CD that goes with the lesson plan is kind of sucky because they don't give you enough time to tune the guitar. In a bit of a moronic move, the tuning is off, so if we tune our guitars correctly, they sound different than the CD, and the class is based on the CD, so we are off with the rest of the class. What a pain.

So I've decided that the CD is a worthless, and will tune my guitar and then have the kids tune their guitars to mine. I'd like for them to figure out how to tune their guitars by sound, something I'm incapable of, but they are young enough to learn the proper way. This is more of a pain because it takes more time, but such is life.

On the homeschool front, we've decided to enroll A to take the state standardized test in the Fall. It requires that we register with the school and get all the test prep info. It will help us fulfill some of the state requirements for certain subjects, but not all, so we'll still have to put together a portfolio. In the end, the test is more about having a sense of where we are, and where we'll be going.

I've also learned that I need to register our homeschool status with the district superintendent, something I should have done at the beginning of the year. This will require a visit to the school, which is a pain because once again, it takes time, but you do what you gotta do.

A quick cool note on the homestead front-I've been torturing myself over the chainsaw debate because they cost several hundred dollars and I was worried that my wife would hit the roof over the cost. I was wavering over two models, one more powerful but also more expensive, when R gave me the thumbs up for the bigger model, saying the difference was not so bad and maybe it was better to get the better machine. Wow, I was so stoked. Good vibes to be had by all.

Now I just have to do it. Hopefully some $ will fall from the sky into my lap. I wouldn't complain. We are also going to address my father in law's wish to try out his new stove pipe. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm sure it works well, because R doesn't mess around, though at times he might benefit giving more thought to form over function, especially when it comes to home furnishings.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: